Pages

Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Always order different meals

Yesterday afternoon I started to feel a little unwell in the stomach, hoping it wouldn't be too much I powered on and by the evening realised something I had eaten had not been as well prepared as we could hope. Without much detail, it required me to stay close to a toilet all day today.

Thankfully our number 1 travel rule was followed.  Never order the same meal.  This has saved us in the past and on this occasion from both getting a bug, unfortunately, I have drawn the short straw on both occasions.

So while I spent the day in our apartment I was able to learn, the tourist horse and cart goes past our window every 90 min and there is practically no traffic between 9:30 and 3pm.


For the remainder of today's blog, I will hand over to Katie...


There is nothing worse when your significant other is unwell on holidays and there is nothing much you can do to help, except order rest and plenty of water. I was happy to have a lazy morning and spend some time on the couch with Shannon. We started planning ahead to tomorrow when we will leave Wernigerode and head to Lubeck. I decided to take a trip to the supermarket to get some snacks and other supplies. The first step, to study the map before I left the apartment to be sure I knew where I was going. Navigating is not my strong point! Fortunately, Shannon has taught me how to use Google offline maps, so with map in hand, I set off for the supermarket across town. It was still early, before 9am, and the streets were fairly quiet. Some shops were just opening and there were a few people on the streets. To my delight, I found the supermarket with ease and started the exploration through aisles of things I'd never seen before. European supermarkets are impressive. I love discovering different brands and items you'd never be able to purchase in a supermarket at home.



With the shopping done, I walked back to our apartment slowly, enjoying the sunshine. I came across a commotion in the centre square and quickly realised I'd stumbled upon a wedding. It was a small group, but they could certainly make some noise. People in the street stopped to watch the newlyweds and their guests pose for photos on the town hall steps. I arrived back at our apartment to check on Shannon and made a little lunch. After resting for a while Shannon ordered me out of the house to enjoy the sunshine. I followed orders and ambled back into town, stopping to admire a 400-year-old church which has shut its doors except for special occasions. Then onward to gaze at gems, stones and slate collected by a local couple, now proudly on display in their store.






I found a quiet cafe off the beaten track and in my best year 10 german, ordered a latte macchiato and apple strudel. The lady was clearly delighted by my efforts to speak her language because she treated me like a queen. She spoke a few words of English and between us, we were able to confirm that I was from Australia, not America, yes Australia is a long way away and yes I would love ice-cream with my strudel.


After farewelling my new friend I strolled back in the direction of our apartment, stopping to buy a fridge magnet and sitting on a bench for a while to watch the people.






This evening we had a home-cooked meal of pasta with a vegetable and tomato sauce. Tomorrow morning we will be disappointed to leave lovely Wernigerode, to hit the road.

1 comment:

  1. I hope Shannon is feeling better. Those buildings look beautiful. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete