Pages

Saturday, August 20, 2016

A close encounter with Dubai Airport security

Going through customs and security checks at airports is just part of the process you have to go through when traveling. Time consuming and annoying, yes, but obviously very necessary. 

Having traveled overseas a few times, I've never faced an issue and breezed through without any hassles. Melbourne airport have streamlined security making passport and bag checks so quick and
easy. The new scanners allow you to put your passport in and after 15 seconds and some type of body scan you are through, no human interaction and lots of flashing lights. I was impressed.
All transiting passengers at Dubai are required to go to security screening on arrival and in the past this has not been an issue for me.
Being a goody two shoes I always have the liquid bag out ready and everything loaded on to the belt to be checked.
When I walked through the body scanner, the alarm went off. An intimidating young man sent me back with the order "shoes and watch, off".   I head through for a second time with the same result. He glares at me, yells something in Arabic and points to a tiny room. 

I have no idea what is going on, but like a good girl follow orders and go to the tiny room. I am met by a female officer who shuts the door behind us. She didn't utter a single word to me but proceeded to pat me down.
Let's just say she was extremely thorough and when she was confident I wasn't attempting to smuggle contraband, gave me an approving nod and let me out of the room.
Clearly they were just following protocol and doing their job but the experience was completely unexpected.

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha you got frisked! Lucky you were clean! ��

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hhmm I can laugh about it now, but at the time it was a little unnerving!

    ReplyDelete