Pages

Monday, December 25, 2017

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas.

Last night we attended the Christingle  Service at St Mary's Church in East Molesey with our cousins Lynanne and Yazmin. This service runs every Christmas Eve and is split over two separate services as the church is packed.

We were presented with Mulled wine and
mince tarts. The children were all presented with a Christingle which is an orange that symbolises
Christ and has lollies stuck into it along with a candle.

We managed to get a seat close to the front, unaware of what to expect I was slightly surprised when a man comes up to me and asked me to do a favour. Unwearyingly I said yes as he went on to explain my duties, fire warden!

In the corner close to my seat was a bucket filled with cloths that if in the event I see a child on fire I am to get the bucket and throw it over the child.  Thankfully no child did
catch alight throughout the ceremony and I was not needed to perform my fire warden duties.


Yazmin and her Christingle

Katie leaving the Church

We ended the evening with a meal at a local pub and then returning to see the process of presents being placed under the tree. 

We have dreamt of a white Christmas for the past few months and this morning we were presented with
clouds, a little wind and patches of rain but no snow.

Christmas morning started with a bacon sandwich and then the present opening.  

Lunch was just lovely and much credit should be given to Norma and her helpers for the fantastic feast.

Ross and Yazmin
Jamie and Norma
Stewart, Tony and Lynanne 


It would appear that for one of the helpers, it may have been a little too much!


It was over after not too long and he was back to it with the ceremonial duties of lighting the Christmas pudding, Well done Jamie.


KFB2344 SFB1892

1 comment:

  1. My grandparents were married in this church in 1932. Aunty Ann has also mentioned she can recall many memories of visits to this church.

    ReplyDelete