Pages

Saturday, September 3, 2016

Lovely leather, fine Ferrari's and powerful Pavarotti

Today was our last full day in Modena. We wondered in to the centre after breakfast and dropped in the visitor information centre, to make sure we hadn't missed anything important. We stopped in
a little cafe for coffee and chatted to the very helpful young waiter, who was keen to practice his English. (It is amazing how teachers influence accents, this waiter had the same accent as Tom Cruise - Shannon)

From the information centre, we read about a leather studio and shop, so continued our walk until we found it. The smell of leather when you walk inside is delightful. The very friendly staff were eager to help us learn about their business and we got talking to Victoria, who at 25, has learnt the art of working with leather, in this very studio. A beautiful bag had already caught my eye, but I tried not to let that distract me as she explained the history of the business and that they only produce their products in Modena. While they do sell some of their products in Japan, they are very firm on remaining a business for the local people. She took us upstairs in to their workshop on a private tour which was fascinating! They only use natural materials and add no chemicals to their products. Along with cowhide, they also use alligator, python and stingray!


The products were just beautiful and while I'm not usually one to spend big I couldn't resist. I know the beautiful bag I chose will be with me for many, many years to come.


Victoria had told us about a food market close by. It felt a little like the Queen Victoria Market, in terms of its fresh produce. There were many fresh seafood and produce stalls along with pastry and pasta shops.



We then jumped in to our little Pietro and headed to the Ferrari museum and gallery. I had my reservations. I mean cars aren't particularly my thing, but once I was in front of many Ferraris I could see the beauty in them. They even had a great short video that showed Ferraris being used in movies through the decades. The museum was also interesting...Shannon did have to explain what a V8 and V12 was.


 
 

We enjoyed lunch at the Ferrari restaurant and then we were off to our next stop - The home of Luciano Pavarotti. We both thoroughly enjoyed our time here. Pavarotti was a Modena local and they have turned his home in to a museum. You can actually walk in to his home, which has largely been kept the way it was when he died. It was fascinating. Being able to see his famous costumes up close and personal will be something I won't forget in a hurry.

 
 


Side note: watch the video below to see a reenactment of my mini meltdown today :-)


Tomorrow, we bid Modena a fond farewell and head to the coast for a week to explore the Cinque Terre. 

2 comments:

  1. Katie. There are souvenirs, and then there are souvenirs! Your purchase of the bag is top rated souvenir that will bring you much pleasure, and recall memories, for a long time. I reckon these sort of souvenirs are worth every dollar, or euro!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie. There are souvenirs, and then there are souvenirs! Your purchase of the bag is top rated souvenir that will bring you much pleasure, and recall memories, for a long time. I reckon these sort of souvenirs are worth every dollar, or euro!!!

    ReplyDelete